Saturday, June 28, 2008

Dear Ole' Jordan High

This was the window when you walked up the stairs into our school you can see it in the picture below if you look closely.
Pioneer's went to.
This is where I went
It's my 20 year reunion tonight in Utah. I didn't go of course. What ages me is that it doesn't even exist now, they tore it down and built the "Mayan" restaurant, theatres, office buildings etc.. in it's place. I went to Jordan High in Sandy, and our mascot was the "Beetdiggers".-Yes, it's true, the Beetdiggers. It was our mascot because years ago...picture little house on the prairie in your mind...the farmers had thriving sugar beet fields that went on and on and school was closed down for 2 weeks during the year so the kids could help the beet topping work force. They rode their horses to school and stabled them in a barn on the property. In 1907, 7 kids met in a church basement until they built the first Jordan High and then they built a second one at the same location-the one I went to, and then they built a third one down the street in a different location. It was a good thing they tore our school down, we had to bring our coat with us to every class because we never knew if the heater worked or not that day. One day the ceiling fell in on a class and the next day everybody wore hard hats. One funny story...our parking lot was across a busy street and they expected everybody to walk down a good distance to the crosswalk to cross the street in the early morning-ya right. So they put up a fence to force us to. I know they were thinking of our safety but we were teenagers. Well, in the middle of the night someone would cut the fence with wire cutters, during the day the principal would get on the intercom and scold us and plead to have the person responsible turn themselves in and he would have someone come fix the fence during the day, the next morning it would be cut again, and this went on and on all year and no one ever knew who kept cutting it. It was a huge mystery. Until years later I found out it was some boys that were friends of mine that were on the basketball team (they told no one) and everybody loved them, including our principal-if he only knew, and all these guys went on missions.-I still can't believe they did it and never got caught. I had a lot of great memories at this school. Everybody knew everybody and we all liked each other. It would have been fun to have gone to my reunion-maybe the next one.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

"Jordan High School students are we!" I really did think they would never tear it down. Weird! Keith's class was the last ones to graduate while still going to that school 1995.

Captain and First Officer said...

Heather, it's Shari's sis-in-law, Sarah. My dad was a Jordan Beetdigger clear back in 1966! Small world.